Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Slow sad week

So... there hasn't been a lot of post for over a week.

The weather has been crappy- think I'm kidding? We seriously had snow flurries at least twice in the last week...ummm HELLO??? I thought it was May.
So for the last week between the wind and the snow and the greyness we've been inside a lot!

and then...

I don't even know how to write about this, for the last 3 days I've been debating if I should even post it because I don't even want to talk about it.

But our little puppy Mack,
the one that we'd had for exactly a week on Sunday, got the bright idea to go visit the buffalo that live across the highway. He didn't make it back across the highway.

I've been in tears quite a bit about it for the last few days. I know I said I needed to harden up about life and death in a farm setting...but I just can't seem to harden up about dogs. And to be honest right now I'm mad!!!
Within the week that we had him there was a sorts of behavior changes already happening. He was quickly learning not to jump, even on Nathan. He was obviously watching Maggie and realized you could chase after Nathan and then cut him off and herd him in one direction to show him that you caught him instead of just pushing him down.
He was sitting better.
He was coming to his name.
He was really starting to shape up and look like he might be an excellent dog for around here! And then in an instant he was gone.
I was so mad, We'd taken him for a walk through the big back field only a day or two before, and when we'd walked home along the highway he hit the dirt (literally) every time a car went by. He was scared of the noise. I'd said to Chris at the time too "good, don't comfort him, the more scared he is of the highway the less likely he is to go near it"

No comments:

Post a Comment